想学好很难,
因为太灵活。
很多时候一句话每个单词都认识,
就是没法理解其中的意思。
所以找一些这样的句子。
每日一句,
希望能坚持下来。。。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 6.10.2010 22:09
标题: 20101006---I wasn't born yesterday, (you know).
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 8.10.2010 18:41 编辑

I wasn't born yesterday, (you know).

中文解释:(别哄我了), 我又不是三岁小孩.
英语解释:something that you say in order to tell someone that a person is not stupid and cannot be easily deceived.
eg: You'd better think of a better excuse about the dent in my car. I wasn't born yesterday, you know! You can't expect your mother to believe that - she wasn't born yesterday!
作者: mirandawang    时间: 7.10.2010 22:16
标题: 20101007---She turns me off.
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 8.10.2010 18:40 编辑

She turns me off.
她使我厌烦。
反义应该是She turns me on. 她让我眼睛为之一亮.
一位长发美女从你眼前走过, 你的目光便不自觉地投射在她身上, 全身的血液也开始跟著沸腾起来. 这要怎么用英文形容呢? 这就叫 She turns me on.
这好像是说, 她把你身上的电源都给打开了.
另外, turn-on 也可以当作名词用, 它用来表示任何令你觉得很不错的人, 事, 物. 另外你可以说 She is such a turn-on. 就是说她给我的感觉还蛮不错的.

turn off大部分时候的意思是关掉。这里延伸出来的意思就是使厌烦。
还有其他几个延伸意思:
a. To affect with dislike, displeasure, or revulsion: That song really turns me off.
b. To affect with boredom: The play turned the audience off.
c. To lose or cause to lose interest; withdraw: turning off to materialism.
d. To cease paying attention to: The student turned off the boring lecture and daydreamed.

作者: mirandawang    时间: 8.10.2010 17:35
标题: 20101008---We're all in the same boat.
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 8.10.2010 18:40 编辑

We're all in the same boat.
翻译:我们处境相同。
to be in the same boat就常用来比喻“处于同一境况”,往往指不幸境况
成语:同舟共济
eg:
Bill:I was just told I have to take a pay cut.   比尔:我被通知要减薪。
George:We were all told that. You’re not alone. 乔治:我們都收到通知,不止你一人。
Bill:But I really can’t take this cut, I won’t be able to survive. 比尔:但我实在不能接受,我无法活下去的。
George:We’re all in the same boat. It will be tough on all of us. 乔治:我們坐在同一条船,未来日子大家都不好过。

再说一个以boat这个字为主的习惯用语:To miss the boat.
Miss就是失去的意思。 To miss the boat从字面来解释,它的意思是:误了上船的时间。但是,作为俗语,to miss the boat就是失去了一个好机会。
eg: We found exactly the house we wanted, but we waited to buy it in the hope the price would go down. But we missed the boat; when we called the agent back, he'd just sold it to another family.
我们找到一栋正好是我们想要的房子,但是我们等了一下,心想房价可能会下降。但是,当我们给那个房地产经纪人打回电话去的时候,他刚刚把那房子买给了另一家人家。所以,我们失去了这个好机会。

作者: mirandawang    时间: 9.10.2010 12:58

a close call or a close shave

中文解释幸免于难, 死里逃生
英文解释:A narrow escape.
eg:
That skier just missed the tree--what a close call.
That was a close shave, nearly leaving your passport behind.
来源:
The first phrase dates from the late 1800s and comes from sports, alluding to an official's decision (call) that could have gone either way. The second, from the early 1800s, alludes to the narrow margin between closely shaved skin and a razor cut. (This latter usage replaced the much earlier equation of a close shave with miserliness, based on the idea that a close shave by a barber meant one would not have to spend money on another shave quite so soon.)
作者: mirandawang    时间: 10.10.2010 12:16

pain in the neck or pain in the ass

中文翻译:2者基本相同,都有令人讨厌的人或事的意思,只是前者比后者多了一个意思:a bothersome annoying person 非常讨厌的人。
英文翻译:something or someone that causes trouble; a source of unhappiness
eg:给大家一段对话,比较容易理解

M: [Phone rings] Hello? I'm sorry. I'm not interested. No. No thank you. Look, I said I am not interested! [sound of phone hanging up]
L:Michael,是谁打来的电话,让你这么生气啊?
M: That was someone who wanted to sell me a magazine subscription over the phone. Those people are such a pain in the neck!
L:嗯,我也不喜欢别人在电话里跟我推销东西。可是你叫他们什么?A pain in the neck?
M: That's right. Pain. A pain in the neck is something that is just very very annoying.
L:噢,我明白了,“a pain in the neck”就是指讨厌到了极点。
M: Exactly. I can't stand telemarketers. When I get home and finally sit down, they always call. What a pain!
L:那是真的很讨厌。哎,“a pain in the neck”是不是只能形容人呢?
M: Not always. Things or situations can be a "pain in the neck".
L:噢, 所以,“a pain in the neck”还可以拿来指某样东西,或者是某种处境。那我可不可以说“It is such a pain in the neck when the electricity goes out”?
M: You've got it! And it really was a pain in the neck, too! I couldn't do anything last week when we had the blackout. I couldn't cook, couldn't watch TV......
L:哎哟,不能看电视算得上什么“pain in the neck”。那天我开车回家,马路上连红绿灯都坏了,那才叫不方便呢。
M: Yeah, well that's all over now. [muffled sound of drumming] Oh man! It's my neighbor again! He always plays his drums in the evening. It's such a pain in the neck.
L:原来是你的邻居,他又在练习打鼓啊。唉,我也有个讨厌的邻居,她那只狗总是叫个不停,有时候晚上睡着了又给那狗吵醒了。真是个“pain in the neck”。
M: Yeah, well if it's that bad, why don't you ask your neighbor to do something about it.
L:有啊。可是她不但不改,还和我们耍态度呢。这个人啊,也是个“pain in the neck”。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 11.10.2010 14:59

I'm not myself today.我今天心神不宁。

Teacher: What’s wrong with you?
William: I’m not myself today.

“I’m not myself”这句话是什么意思呢?我都不是我自己了?那么我是什么呢?看来这句话不能光从字面上来理解。那么它是什么意思呢?让我们来打个比方吧:你昨天晚上失眠了,第二天上课,无论老师问你什么你都不知道,那么老师会很生气地问你:” What’s wrong with you?” 那么最好地借口就是:”I am not myself today”“我今天状态不佳".
作者: mirandawang    时间: 12.10.2010 21:35

Think nothing of it.

中文解释:别放在心上
英文解释:有2个
1. You're welcome.; It was nothing.; I was glad to do it.
2. You did no harm at all. (A very polite way of reassuring someone that an action has not harmed or hurt the speaker.)

eg:
1. Mary: Thank you so much for driving me home.
John: Think nothing of it.
Sue: It was very kind of you to bring the kids back all the way out here.
Alice: Think nothing of it. I was delighted to do it.
2. Sue: Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to bump you!
Bob: Think nothing of it.
Jane: Ihope I didn't hurt your feelings when I said you were too loud.
Bill: Don't give it a second thought. I was too loud.

作者: mirandawang    时间: 13.10.2010 20:02
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 15.10.2010 21:49 编辑

Don't beat around the bush.

中文解释:别拐弯抹角/ 旁敲侧击/ 兜圈子。
英文解释
when you talk about things indirectly, not stating exactly what you mean.
eg:好像supernatural中的句子
Dean was very worry about his brother Sam,he would not to see him to die.so he asked Sam:"Sam,Do you like to enjoy the normal life?works from 9:00AM TO 5:00PM,with you beauty wife and chirdren,and...." "Dean!"Sam interrupted him:"what do you want to say?Don't beat around the bush!""I want you merry you life..."........
作者: mirandawang    时间: 14.10.2010 21:03

You bet!

中文解释:没错,当然, 真的, 的确。用在表示同意对方说法时使用,是You bet I am.的略语。
英文解释
:Of course; surely.
因为 bet 是下赌注的意思,所以 "You bet." 就是指,"You can bet money on that." (你可以把钱下注在上面),就是说这件事百分之百正确。
eg:
I think people in that neighborhood are snobs.
Oh, you bet.

给大家一段短文,就更容易理解这个短语的意思了。
K:  Hi, Matthew
M:Hey, Kiele, what happened with that English teacher you were hiring to teach your cousin.
K:  Oh, I was hoping you wouldn’t ask me about that…
M:How come?
K:  Well, I spoke to the teacher on the telephone. And our conversation seemed to be going well. And when I asked her if I could call her back, she said something I didn’t quite understand.
M:What did she say?
K:  It sounded something like ‘you bet’. Is this a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’?
M:Well, the good news it that it’s a ‘yes’, but I can understand how it made you feel confused.
K:  Great. So, can you explain? I mean, I know that a ‘bet’ is when two people disagree on something uncertain. They ‘bet’ an amount of money on each possibility. And when the case is decided, the person who guessed – or bet correctly will win all of the money.
M:Yes. That’s it. So I might bet with you that the weather tomorrow will be rainy, for example.
K:  I’d never bet money on the weather! And anyway, still I don’t understand how ‘you bet’ can mean ‘yes’.
M:Sure. Think of ‘you bet’ as an abbreviation – a shortened form of a much longer phrase.
K:  What is that phrase?
M:It’s something like: ‘Yes. And I’m so sure that the answer is ‘yes’ that I recommend that you bet your money on the answer being ‘yes’. As well as saying ‘you bet, you might also say ‘you can bet on it’.
K:  Oh, I see. And are you saying that I can use this phrase even though I disagree with gambling?
M:Yes. That’s definitely true. Although it was originally related to gambling, people don’t even make the connection any more. So, are you going to call that teacher on the telephone again?
K:  You bet I am!
作者: mirandawang    时间: 15.10.2010 21:15
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 17.10.2010 19:13 编辑

neck and neck

中文解释:不分上下;并驾齐驱
neck and neck 就是从赛马比赛当中产生的,neck 指的是马头,在一些非常接近的比赛里面,裁判判断胜负的标准就是谁的马头在前!
英语解释:So close that the lead between competitors is virtually indeterminable.
eg:

A poll taken shortly before the election showed that the two presidential candidates are still neck and neck.
选举前不久的民意调查显示,两名总统候选人依然是势均力敌。
And the horses are coming up to the finish line. They're neck and neck…neck and neck all the way. Oh and the Italian horse Mamma Mia wins the race!
作者: mirandawang    时间: 16.10.2010 19:42
标题: 20101016---I'm flattered.
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 17.10.2010 12:48 编辑

I'm flattered.
昨日被鱼子酱老师加分了。所以今天就来学这个句子来答复她。

中文解释
过奖了!
英文解释:
to praise excessively especially from motives of self-interest
eg:
A:Wow!Your English is really terrific.You sound just like a native speaker.
B:Do you really think so? I'm flattered.
A:I mean it. You really have language talent.
B:It's really nice of you to say that! I am really flattered.

A:哇!你的英文真是太棒啦!听起来就像本国人说的一样。
B:你真这么认为么?我真是受宠若惊。
A:我是认真的。你真的有语言天赋呢。

B:谢谢你,你这么说实在是太过奖了!
作者: mirandawang    时间: 17.10.2010 18:12

Over my dead body!

中文解释
:休想

越过我死去的身体,越过我的尸体,从我的尸体上过去
很多豪言壮语会这么说,you will do it over my dead body! 你要是想怎么怎么样,除非从我的尸体上踏过去。(除非我死了,不然你别想怎么怎么样)
比如说钉子户在面对拆迁的时候,就老说:You will break my house over my dead body! 要拆我的房子就从我的尸体上过去!!
这样的说法明显是比较偏激的,表达了强烈的抵触、反抗情绪。在战争年代,别人为了达到目的,可能真的会从你的尸体上踏过去,不过在现在,往往也就是一个抗议的语言而已,并不会真的要死要活的。
英文解释I will never let this happen. When you absolutely will not allow a person to do something you might say "over my dead body." The [literal] meaning is that you will stand in the way of that person and only if they kill you and walk over your dead body will they be able to do what they want.
eg
You kids are not going out in the cold without your jackets! Not over my dead body!"
Parents say "over my dead body" often because they are in a position of authority and they are much bigger than their children
-All of my friends are going out to the lake tonight and I'm going too!
-Over my dead body you are!

作者: 秋下秋千    时间: 17.10.2010 19:15

作者: mirandawang    时间: 18.10.2010 15:34

cut the crap.

中文解释:别废话
英文解释:stop saying things that are not true or not important
eg:
吸血鬼日记第一季第8集出现过。不过说这话的人这集就挂了。。。
-We need to tell them.
-Hey, guys, cut the crap - you need to work toward a solution.
作者: 真珠草    时间: 18.10.2010 15:49
真有心思!
我也來學習學習。
謝謝 MM 了!
作者: mirandawang    时间: 18.10.2010 15:59
真有心思!
我也來學習學習。
謝謝 MM 了!
真珠草 发表于 18.10.2010 16:49

客气了,我就是逼自己学一下。mm见笑了。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 19.10.2010 20:40

I'll keep my ears open.

中文解释:我会留意的。
英文解释:To keep your ears open means to listen attentively for useful information.

eg:
An alumni might say to an eager 2nd year job seeker, “Unfortunately, we’re not hiring right now, but I’ll keep my ears open for any opportunities over the next couple of months. If I hear of anything, I’ll let you know.”
作者: mirandawang    时间: 20.10.2010 18:55
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 20.10.2010 19:57 编辑

Get over yourself.

中文解释:少臭美了/别那么自以为是!
英文解释:Patronising phrase used to tell someone that you believe they hold too high an opinion of themselves, or are behaving in a conceited or pompous manner.
eg:
You wouldn't be seen dead in shorts? Please! Get over yourself!
作者: mirandawang    时间: 21.10.2010 21:04

speak of the devil

中文解释:说曹操曹操就到
英文解释:mention someone's name who just then appears
eg:
if Alice and Bob start discussing Charlie while he isn't in the room, and Charlie walks into the room, Alice or Bob might say, "Speak of the devil!"
作者: mirandawang    时间: 22.10.2010 20:12

play it by ear

中文解释:见机行事
英文解释to decide how to deal with a situation as it develops rather than planning how you are going to react
eg:I'm not sure how long I'll stay at the party. I'll just play it by ear.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 23.10.2010 20:32
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 29.10.2010 23:38 编辑

feel up to sth

中文解释:胜任什么事情或工作。
英文解释:to feel well enough or prepared enough to do something. (Often in the negative.)
eg:I don't feel up to jogging today. Aunt Mary didn't feel up to making the visit.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 24.10.2010 20:52

drop me a line

中文解释:写封信给我
英文解释:to write me a short letter
eg:If you've got a few minutes to spare you could always drop her a line.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 25.10.2010 12:43
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 27.10.2010 21:30 编辑

stack the deck/ The deck is stacked against you.

中文解释弄虚作假、以谋私利
Stack是堆成一堆的意思,而deck这里就指一付扑克牌,stack the deck从表面看来意思就是砌牌
,但是在打扑克的时候stack the deck专指耍弄欺骗手腕砌牌,使好牌都发到自己手上来。换句话说就是做牌。Stack the deck现在已经被转用在日常生活中。

英文解释:to arrange something in a way that is not fair in order to achieve what you want(mainly American)
来源:This phrase comes from the idea of arranging a set of cards in a card game so that you will win.
eg:
1).Grey's Anatomy S7E5 背景就是Grey和Jackson Avery争夺开刀权,由Derek决定。于是Jackson Avery就说了下面一句话:
Competing with the wife? Like that's not a stacked deck.
2).Our boss said that we"d all be considered for the promotion. But we suspected that the deck was stacked against us. And sure enough the boss gave the promotion to his wife"s cousin.
那位老板咀上一套冠冕堂皇的话是考虑提升时对所有的人都一视同仁,而实际上老板却把提升的机会给了他太太的表亲,可见大家原先怀疑他弄虚作假以谋私利一点没错。 这个老板先说一套貌似公正的话来稳定大家的情绪,结果却把提升的机会开后门给了自己的亲戚。所以这里the deck was stacked against us意思是作手脚造成不利于我们的情况
作者: mirandawang    时间: 26.10.2010 20:37

waste one's breath

英文解释: to waste one's time talking; to talk in vain.
中文解释
白费口舌
eg:
Don't waste your breath talking to her. She won't listen.
You can't persuade me. You're just wasting your breath.

作者: mirandawang    时间: 27.10.2010 20:41

slip through one's fingers

2种用法:
let somebody slip through your fingers
中文解释 从某人指缝中溜掉
英文解释to allow someone to escape from you
eg:The police let the main suspect slip through their fingers.

let something slip through your fingers
英文解释:to waste an opportunity to achieve something
中文解释:错失良机
eg:
1. 一句经典台词的翻译:曾经有一份真挚的爱情摆在我面前,我却没有珍惜.出现在CSI11季前3集中,具体第几集不记得了。
I had love in my grasp and I let it slip through my fingers.

2. This is my big chance to make a career in journalism and I can't let it slip through my fingers.

当然也可以没有letHe has seen the world championship slip through his fingers twice.
作者: qingqushenghuo    时间: 28.10.2010 10:41
好好学习,天天向上
作者: 有容乃大    时间: 28.10.2010 14:38
来学习。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 28.10.2010 21:32

It slipped my mind.

昨天学了一个关于slip的短语,今天再学习一个。
中文解释:我不留神忘了。。字面意思是“什么事从我脑袋中偷偷溜走了”。
英文解释:[for something that was to be remembered] to be forgotten.
eg:
I meant to go to the grocery store on the way home, but it slipped my mind.
My birthday slipped my mind. I guess I wanted to forget it.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 29.10.2010 22:36

It never rains but it pours.

中文解释:祸不单行
英文解释something that you say which means that when one bad thing happens, a lot of other bad things also happen, making the situation even worse

eg:First of all it was the car breaking down, then the fire in the kitchen and now Mike's accident. It never rains but it pours!
作者: mirandawang    时间: 30.10.2010 22:20

stay out (of something)

中文解释
1. 让出东西或地方
2.置身事外
英文解释
1. Lit. to keep out of something or some place.
2. Fig. to remain uninvolved in some piece of business.

eg:
1. Stay out of here! Please stay out until we are ready.
I decided to stay out of it and let someone else handle it.
My help wasn't needed there, so I just stayed out.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 31.10.2010 23:42
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 31.10.2010 23:43 编辑

get/grate on somebody's nerves  

中文解释:惹人厌烦
英文解释:to annoy someone, especially by doing something again and again
eg:
If we spend too much time together, we end up getting on each other's nerves.
The telephone hadn't stopped ringing all morning and it was starting to grate on my nerves.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 1.11.2010 22:28

hold water

中文解释:vi. 按字面解释当然可以说是“不让水漏出来”。但是,它的另外一个意思是指某一个人找的借口、提出的理由、或说的话是确实的,站得住脚的。
英文解释:When you say that something does or does not 'hold water', it means that the point of view or argument put forward is or is not sound, strong or logical.

eg:
1.   Several of his suggestions about changes in the government simply don't hold water.
他有关政府改革的意见中有几条简直是站不住脚的。  

2.   Miller is a dishonest person.His words can't hold water.
米勒是个不诚实的人,他的话经不起验证。  

3.   Prohibition may be a dispute theory, but none can complain that it do not hold water.
禁酒法可能是一则有待商榷的理论,但谁也不能埋怨它有漏洞(说不通)。  

4.   His opinion doesn't hold water.
他的说法站不住。
作者: Growingpain    时间: 2.11.2010 12:32
这帖太好了,很有收益,谢谢LZ!!!
望LZ再接再厉!!!
作者: mirandawang    时间: 2.11.2010 22:37

bury one's head in the sand/ hide one's head in the sand/ have one's head in the sand

中文解释:逃避现实
英文解释:Refuse to confront or acknowledge a problem.
来源:This comes from the supposed habit of ostriches hiding when faced with attack by predators. The story was first recorded by the Roman writer Pliny the Elder, who suggested that ostriches hide their heads in bushes. Ostriches don't hide, either in bushes or sand, although they do sometimes lie on the ground to make themselves inconspicuous. The 'burying their head in the sand' myth is likely to have originated from people observing them lowering their heads when feeding.
The story also relies on the supposed stupidity of ostriches, and of birds in general. In fact, there's little to support that either as birds have a significantly larger brain to weight ratio than many other species of animal. The notion is that the supposedly dumb ostrich believes that if it can't see its attacker then the attacker can't see it. This was nicely reformed as a joke on Douglas Adams' 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', in which the 'Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal' was described as 'so mind-bogglingly stupid that it assumes that if you can't see it, then it can't see you.'

eg

For years we have been hiding our heads in the sand, refusing to admit that the store is losing money.

When it comes to a family quarrel, Dean just buries his head in the sand.

作者: mirandawang    时间: 3.11.2010 12:19
To head (someone/sth) off (at the pass)

中文解释阻止, 拦截
英文解释:to intercept and divert someone or something
eg
1.摘自:英国《金融时报》---Inflation  may  play  lead  role in renminbi appreciation

As politicians move to head off a global “currency war”, few questions loom larger than the extent to which China will allow its currency to strengthen against the US dollar.
随着各国政界人士采取行动,阻止全球“汇率战争”的爆发,目前最突出的问题莫过于,中国将允许人民币对美元升值到何种程度。
2. 在Gossip Girl S4E7中
Rufus说了一句I‘m gonna head off.类似于I have to go.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 5.11.2010 12:42

behind bars

中文解释:关在监牢里
英文解释:In prison/in jail. It based on the literal bars used to build a prison.The bars here refer to the iron rods used to confine prisoners.
eg: All murderers should be put behind bars for life.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 5.11.2010 12:47

to hit the ceiling

中文解释:生气,大发雷霆。hit就是“碰撞,打击”。Ceiling就是“屋顶”。To hit the ceiling,顾名思义就是“撞到了屋顶”。作为俗语,它的意思就是:一个人生气得暴跳如雷,甚至都撞到了屋顶。这个说法具有一般成语和俗语的特点,也就是夸大。但是,也正是由于这一特点使得成语和俗语变得很生动,有时还带有幽默的色彩。
英文解释:to become very angry and start shouting
eg:
My dad'll hit the roof when he finds out that I wrecked his car.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 6.11.2010 21:47

Every dog has its day./Every dog has his day.

中文解释每个人总会有实现自己愿望的一天。
英文解释something that you say which means that everyone is successful during some period in their life.  Everyone gets a chance eventually.
来源According to the medieval Dutch scholar Erasmus, the saying came about as a result of the death of the Greek playwright Euripides, who in 405 B.C. was mauled and killed by a pack of dogs loosed upon him by a rival. Thus the saying is usually taken to mean that even the most lowly person will at some time get revenge on his oppressor, no matter how powerful the man may be. The Greek biographer Plutarch recorded the proverb for the first time in 'Moralia' (A.D. c. 95) rendering it as 'Even a dog gets his revenge,' and Richard Taverner included the first version in English - 'A dogge hath a day' - centuries later in his 'Proverbes' or Adages' .What was virtually the modern form appeared in John Ray's 'A collection of English Proverbs' as 'Every dog hath his day'."
eg:
He'll get that promotion eventually. Every dog has its day.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 8.11.2010 19:55

have butterflies in one's stomach

中文解释:从字面上来解释就是,一个人的胃里有蝴蝶。可是,这个说法的真正意思是一种持续不断的恐惧、紧张或忧虑的心情,和中文里说的“心里感到七上八下”很相似。
英文解释:to feel very nervous, usually about something you are going to do
egWhenever I have to speak in public, I get butterflies in my stomach.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 8.11.2010 21:50

hang in there | hang on in there

中文解释坚持下去,不要放弃
英文解释:You can tell someone to hang in there, or hang on in there, if they're in a difficult situation and you want to encourage them, or tell them not to give up.
eg
Giving up cigarettes is really hard, but it gets easier as each day passes, so hang in there and you'll soon feel better.
I was exhausted, and I really wanted to quit, but I told myself to hang on in there and finish the race.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 9.11.2010 23:18
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 9.11.2010 23:19 编辑

a bed of roses

中文解释:逞心如意的生活
英文解释A situation which is easy and comfortable
出处
1.From Christopher Marlowe's The Passionate Shepherd To His Love. This was published posthumously in 1599 - Marlowe died in 1593.

Come live with me and be my love,
And we will all the pleasures prove
That valleys, groves, hills, and fields,
Woods or steepy mountain yields.

And we will sit upon the rocks,
Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks,
By shallow rivers to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.

And I will make thee beds of roses
And a thousand fragrant posies,
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
Embroidered all with leaves of myrtle;

A gown made of the finest wool
Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
Fair lined slippers for the cold,
With buckles of the purest gold;

A belt of straw and ivy buds,
With coral clasps and amber studs:
And if these pleasures may thee move,
Come live with me and be my love.

The shepherds' swains shall dance and sing
For thy delight each May morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my love.

Here, Marlowe was referring to real flowers. The phrase has since come to be used figuratively to refer to any easy and pleasantsituation - floral or otherwise.

2.The literal interpretation of the phrase was taken up again in the imagery for the 1999 film 'American Beauty'. The commercial potential of that imagery was soon exploited and 'Bed of Roses' bath kits were soon on sale. They rather spoiled the effect by using the blurb 'if you want to re-create the inimitable scene from American Beauty...'.

eg:Life isn't a bed of roses. 人生并非事事称心如意。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 10.11.2010 23:35

come out in the wash

中文解释:暴露,真相大白
英文解释:if something secret or unpleasant comes out in the wash, people discover the truth about it
eg:They don't want the police to investigate, because they're afraid of what might come out in the wash.
作者: cathy_fly    时间: 11.11.2010 17:18
挺好的帖子,就是对我而言,还是先学好常用的说法把,有的记不住,有的我说了德国人恐怕也不怎么明白
作者: mirandawang    时间: 11.11.2010 22:56

It's Greek to me.

中文解释:我完全不懂
英语解释:something that you say when you do not understand something that is written or said
来源:This phrase comes from Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar.
eg:I've tried reading the manual but it's all Greek to me.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 13.11.2010 00:02

not one's cup of tea

中文解释:不感兴趣;不合胃口
英文解释:not one's choice or preference. (Used to describe an activity you do not enjoy. Can sound somewhat affected.)
eg:You three visit the museum without me. Looking at fussy old paintings is not my cup of tea.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 13.11.2010 22:04

beat a dead horse

中文解释白费口舌
英文解释to waste time doing something that has already been attempted
eg
Do you think it's worth sending my manuscript to other publishers or I am just beating a dead horse?
作者: mirandawang    时间: 14.11.2010 22:31

let the cat out of bag

中文解释:泄漏秘密
英文解释:to reveal a secret or a surprise by accident.
来源:早在超市(或杂货店)出现之前,人们通常在当地的市场买菜。农民和商人们在那里叫卖蔬菜水果、鸡蛋面包之类,此外还会出售肉类和家禽,通常都是些活的动物。在一些特殊的场合(如节日盛宴),乳猪是采购单上一样很抢手的食物。由于乳猪会乱动,当顾客挑选好并结账后,商人为了运送方便就把猪塞进一个帆布口袋(poke)里递给顾客。
然而,市场上的许多交易并不光明磊落,奸商有时会利用顾客一时走神,把一只流浪猫冒充乳猪放进袋子里。直到顾客回家,“把猫从袋子里拿出来”(let the cat out of the bag),才发现这个骗局。所以这个词组意味着是一个意外的,但通常令人讨厌的发现。据说这也是谚语“不要买装在袋子里的猪”(don't buy a pig in a poke)的由来,也就是“不要不看现货就买东西”的意思。
eg:We knew then that he was expecting someone to arrive. It's a secret. Try not to let the cat out of the bag.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 16.11.2010 21:51

You're going too far!

中文解释:你太过分了。
英文解释:to do more than is acceptable
eg:I didn't mind at first, but now you've gone too far. If you go too far, I'll slap you.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 16.11.2010 22:03

come in handy

中文解释派上用场
英文解释:to be useful
eg:My son's wagon comes in handy when I have to move anything heavy.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 18.11.2010 21:36

once in a blue moon

中文解释:千载难逢地
英文解释:very seldom
来源:

Ask the man on the Clapham omnibus the question 'What is a blue moon exactly?' and you are likely to get one of three answers:

1. Duh.
2. It's the second full moon in a calendar month.
3. It's when the moon looks blue.

Let's start with 3. Very occasionally, the moon actually does appear to be blue. This sometimes occurs after a volcanic eruption, like that of Krakatao in 1883. Dust particles in the atmosphere are normally of a size to diffract blue light, making the moon appear reddish at sunset. Larger volcanic dust particles diffract red light, making the moon appear bluish.

Tempting as it is to suppose that something that happens very rarely, and which is mentioned by name in a phrase that means 'very rarely', is the source of the phrase, it probably isn't.

eg:Jill: Does your husband ever bring you flowers? Ellen: Once in a blue moon.
作者: mirandawang    时间: 18.11.2010 21:49

You've got me there.

中文解释:你考到我了
英文解释:something that you say when you do not know the answer to a question
eg:'How many miles is five kilometres?' 'You've got me there.'
作者: mirandawang    时间: 12.12.2010 16:03
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 12.12.2010 16:03 编辑

放弃了一段时间,
现在继续;
改一下模式,
记录一些有意义的句子。

If a woman is not sexy, she needs emotion; if not emotional, she needs reason; if not reasonable, she has to know herself clearly. If not so, only she has is misfortune.
女人如果不性感,就要感性;如果没有感性,就要理性;如果没有理性,就要有自知之明;如果连这个都没有了,她只有不幸。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 13.12.2010 21:48

There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept,things we don't want to know but have to learn,and people we can't live without but have to let go.
总有一些事,我们不愿它发生,却必须接受;总有些东西,我们不想知道, 却必须了解;总有些人, 我们不能没有, 却必须学着放手。

作者: mirandawang    时间: 14.12.2010 21:50
Love is not about running into each other in crowds, but an impossible meeting. For example, I am a bird flying in sky; you are a leopard in forest. We just fall in love accidentally.

缘分不是人海中两个人的擦身,缘分是不可能的相遇。比如我是空中的鸟,你是林中的豹,只是我们碰巧相爱

作者: ress    时间: 14.12.2010 23:17
classic...
作者: mirandawang    时间: 15.12.2010 17:41
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 15.12.2010 17:42 编辑

When some one abandons you, it is him that gets loss because he looses someone who truly loves him but you just lost one who doesn't love you.
当你认为被抛弃的时候,受损失的其实是对方:因为他失去了一个真正喜欢他的人,而你只不过少了一个不喜欢你的人罢了。

ps:16-20日不能上网,停止更新~~~

作者: 妖精媚眼    时间: 19.12.2010 18:00
嗯,很好。lz很强大。头像很帅。不知道本人是不是帅男啊。。。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 21.12.2010 19:19
妖精媚眼 发表于 19.12.2010 18:00
嗯,很好。lz很强大。头像很帅。不知道本人是不是帅男啊。。。

下辈子我一定做个帅哥!

作者: mirandawang    时间: 21.12.2010 19:21
If you hate me, I don't really care. I don't live to please you!

如果你讨厌我,我一点也不介意,我活着不是为了取悦你。

作者: 妖精媚眼    时间: 21.12.2010 19:49
mirandawang 发表于 21.12.2010 19:19
下辈子我一定做个帅哥!

男人是不是帅哥不是最重要的 最重要的是人品好 善良 哇咔咔
作者: mirandawang    时间: 21.12.2010 19:51
妖精媚眼 发表于 21.12.2010 19:49
男人是不是帅哥不是最重要的 最重要的是人品好 善良 哇咔咔

那肯定!不过俺是mm~~~

作者: 妖精媚眼    时间: 21.12.2010 20:09
mirandawang 发表于 21.12.2010 19:51
那肯定!不过俺是mm~~~

呃。。。误会鸟。。。mm很强大,很爱学习。致敬。以后我每天都背一句你发的英语哈。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 21.12.2010 20:19
妖精媚眼 发表于 21.12.2010 20:09
呃。。。误会鸟。。。mm很强大,很爱学习。致敬。以后我每天都背一句你发的英语哈。 ...

哈哈,没关系的谢谢支持~~~能对嫩有帮助就好~~~

作者: mirandawang    时间: 22.12.2010 20:54

I want to make a mental the rascal lives on a nice girl, physically tenderness, his mental deformation.
我要做个思想上的女流氓,生活上的好姑娘,外形上的柔情少女,心理上的变形金刚。

作者: mirandawang    时间: 23.12.2010 22:00

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
悲观主义者从每个机遇中看到困难,乐观主义者从每个困难中看到机遇。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 25.12.2010 12:50
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 25.12.2010 12:50 编辑

Look not mournfully into the Past,It comes not back again. Wisely improve the Present, It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy Future, without fear,and with a manly heart.
不要悲叹过去,它一去永不回.明智地把握现在,它在你的掌握之中。怀着一颗勇敢的心,毫不畏惧,迎接那朦胧的未来。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 26.12.2010 10:53
Happiness is a butterfly, which, when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.
幸福如一只蝴蝶,当你想追寻时,总也抓不到;但当你安静地坐下来时,它也许会飘落到你的身上。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 27.12.2010 13:00
Single doesn't mean that you know nothing about love. In fact, being solo is wiser than being in a wrong relationship.
单身并不意味着你不懂爱情,事实上,单身要比陷入一段错误的爱明智得多。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 28.12.2010 12:18
People who truly loved once are far more likely to love again.
真爱过的人很难再恋爱。——《西雅图不眠夜》

作者: mirandawang    时间: 28.12.2010 12:20
Don’t forget the things you once you owned. Treasure the things you can’t get. Don't give up the things that belong to you and keep those lost things in memory.
曾经拥有的,不要忘记。不能得到的,更要珍惜。属于自己的,不要放弃。已经失去的,留作回忆。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 29.12.2010 19:35
Life is not about being hardworking, diligence and the related struggles, but more about making the right choices。

人生最困难的不是努力,也不是奋斗,而是做出正确的抉择。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 29.12.2010 21:04
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 29.12.2010 21:05 编辑

cross my heart (and hope to die)

中文解释:我说真的
英语解释:You can say `cross my heart' when you want someone to believe that you are telling the truth. You can also ask `cross your heart?', when you are asking someone if they are really telling the truth.
eg:And I won't tell any of the other girls anything you tell me about it. I promise, cross my heart.
出现在《妖女迷行》第一季第12集5分20秒

作者: mirandawang    时间: 30.12.2010 16:03
All the scars life gives us, even the deepest, those directly in the heart, will fade.
生活给我们的所有伤痕,即使是最深的,直接刻在心上的伤痕,都会渐渐消失的。

作者: mirandawang    时间: 3.1.2011 23:47
We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
我们必须接受失望,因为它是有限的,但千万不可失去希望,因为它是无穷的。
作者: mirandawang    时间: 14.1.2011 18:11
Never say goodbye when you still want to try, never give up when you still feel you can take it, never say you don't love that person anymore when you can't let go.
当你仍想继续,永远不要说再见;当你还能承受,永远不要说放弃;当你舍不得一个人,永远永远不要说你不再爱他(她)
作者: 凉风习习    时间: 19.1.2011 17:23
楼主,真强。
持续关注.....

欢迎光临 德国开元华人社区 开元周游 (https://www.kaiyuan.info/) Powered by Discuz! X3.2